Sunday, September 16, 2012

"Beach Club" by Elin Hilderbrand




Book Description:

Gorgeous Nantucket is an island where memories are made, friendships begun, passions ignited. Now, during one unforgettable summer, the exclusive Nantucket Beach Club and Hotel will shape the fates of the men and women who walk through its doors...Mack Petersen escaped the past and started over in a hotel that has become his life. This summer his secrets can't stay hidden. Love O'Donnell, a glamorous Aspen native, takes a job at the Beach Club to implement her life plan--to find a man to get her pregnant. Vance Robbins has his African-American pride and festering resentments. This season, a gun and a woman offer him a chance to get even with the man he hates most. Cecily Elliott, the owner's daughter, wild and beautiful at eighteen, is about to do something to break her parents' hearts. And Lacey Gardner, the Grande Dame of the Beach Club for 45 years, knows about desperate desire--and about the storm coming that will change everything.The Beach Club, Elin Hilderbrand's first Nantucket novel--the one that started it all--is still the most satisfying read of the summer.

My thoughts:

This book started out slow for me.  I can't pinpoint it - maybe too much description - I don't know.  I just didn't want to read at all.  Or it could have been the mood I was in.  Not sure, but about 1/3 of the way into it I started to get more into it.  The characters were more developed and the story started to come around.  

I liked the description of Nantucket.  I would like to visit - couldn't afford The Beach Club though.  HA HA.  But it sounds like the beautiful place.

The ending - well - I can understand the ending - but at first I wasn't too thrilled with it.  It kind of left it open for another book if she wanted to.  I did read somewhere that this was her first book.  I can see that, as I have read one other book by her.  That book was "Nantucket Nights."  Unfortunately I didn't review it here, but I enjoyed it so much that I have been adding more to my TBR by this author.  =)  By the time I finish her books, as I think most if not all of them are based in Nantucket, I will go visit. =)


Happy Reading

  

No comments:

Post a Comment