Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Book Review: "Key Lime Murder" by Joann Fluke



Book Description:

It promises to be a busy week for Hannah Swensen. Not only is she whipping up treats for the chamber of commerce booth at the Tri-County fair, she's also judging the baking contest; acting as a magician's assistant for her business partner's husband; trying to coax Moishe, her previously rapacious feline, to end his hunger strike, and performing her own private carnival act by juggling the demands of her mother and sisters.

With so much on her plate, it's no wonder Hannah finds herself on the midway only moments before the fair closes for the night. After hearing a suspicious thump, she goes snooping -- only to discover Willa Sunquist, a student teacher and fellow bake contestant judge, dead alongside an upended key lime pie. But who would want to kill Willa and why?

Now Hannah needs to crank up the heat, hoping that Willa's killer will get rattled and make a mistake. If that happens, she intends to be there, even if it means getting on a carnival ride that could very well be her last...


Book Review:

This is the 9th in the Hannah Swensen series.  I started reading this series when it seemed I needed something to tide me over in between my "Stephanie Plum" addiction. =)  This series is a good series to do that with.  It is a good series - I can go a few months in between reading thise, but I still enjoy them a lot.

Just like the Stephanie Plum series, Hannah likes two men.  She goes back and forth on who she likes, but hasn't made a decision.  To some, that is a turn off.  I am used it it after 19 Stephanie Plum books. 

This book takes place in the summer time during fair season, so there are a lot of yummy recipes in this book. 

As usual I could not figure out 'who dun it.'  It was a book that was hard to put down becauses I wasn't sure what would happen next.

If you like mysteries (not gory) - give these a try.

Happy Reading!!!

2 comments:

  1. John Michael CummingsOctober 22, 2014 at 7:51 AM

    Dear Patti,

    Will you please consider reviewing my new novel DON’T FORGET ME, BRO (Stephen F. Austin State University Press and Texas Book Consortium, Dec. 2014-Jan.2015).

    My novel tackles themes of childhood abuse, mental illness, and alienated families--and leaves the reader uplifted!

    Kirkus Reviews says: "Read this book for the vivid imagery and sharp dialogue. Read it for the spot-on characterizations..."

    The subject matter is never treated frivolously or over-handled in details. The writing is taut and compelling throughout. The pace leans forward tirelessly.

    Those accomplishments alone took years.

    In all, five of my thirty years of writing were dedicated to this novel. I like to joke: I had to pull my soul sideways through a keyhole for those five years to get the right words down.

    My debut novel, THE NIGHT I FREED JOHN BROWN (Penguin Group, 2008), won The Paterson Prize for Books for Young Readers (Grades 7-12) and was one of ten books recommended by USA TODAY for Black History Month. For more info:
    https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/john-michael-cummings/the-night-i-freed-john-brown/

    My 2011 short story collection, UGLY TO START WITH (West Virginia
    University Press), was hailed by The Philadelphia Inquirer as a work of “sharp observation and surpassing grace.” Here’s a link to some information about my collection:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ugly-Start-With-Michael-Cummings/dp/193597808X

    My short stories have appeared in more than seventy-five literary
    journals, including The Iowa Review, North American Review, The Kenyon Review, Alaska Quarterly Review, and The Chattahoochee Review. Twice I have been nominated for The Pushcart Prize. My short story "The Scratchboard Project" received an honorable mention in The Best American Short Stories 2007.

    But DON'T FORGET ME, BRO is my best!

    The novel is a fictionalized story of my brother. Joe died at 47 of system-wide neglect and indifference for the so-called mentally ill in my, until recently, extremely backward home state of West Virginia.

    I know thousands of lives are lost every day around the world. True, Joe was just one. But in this novel, you will see him live and die not once, but a thousand times in the minutes of his life.

    If you email me at johnmcummings@aol.com, I'll send you the cover graphic for my novel. Then, please take a look at the image. You will see in Joe's innocent, dead-on eyes at 19.

    I'll also email you a new digital .pdf of my novel from the publisher. It's a clear, bold text.

    I promise you that DON'T FORGET ME, BRO is not too grim. I am
    sensitive to the reader's well-being and tolerance.

    Cleanly written and briskly plotted, DON'T FORGET ME, BRO is a quick, fabulous read, a literary page-turner. Never before in my career could I say this about my work. So I say so now with a truth I can all but guarantee.

    I hope I don't sound arrogant. I am just very happy and confident.

    To give you a bigger picture of my novel, I'll even email you a full advance review by Pauline Finch of Bookreporter.com, along with a list of authors who've blurbed my novel so far and what they have said.

    I would very grateful and honored if you were to review my new novel.

    Again, my email is johnmcummings@aol.com

    My phone number is (304) 620-8747.

    In respect and gratitude for your work,

    and warmly,

    John Michael Cummings

    -- end --

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Patti, I've missed your substantial reviews. The last one is just an unsurpassed book. It doesn't go in comparison with any of Agatha's crime books. Joann makes it still more alluring by the suspense and mystery keys that are rather difficult to find.
    Cheers,
    Florence who waits for some new reviews!

    ReplyDelete